Friday 18 February 2011

Motivations

Yesterday I got into an argument- er, discussion- with a co-worker on the importance of fair trade. She felt that while fair trade has its merits, it doesn't adequately address the geography or culture of a place. That is, why are lack of benefits, schooling, and health care fair trade issues in countries that don't have have these things in the first place? Can they miss what they've never had?

This is not the first time I've heard criticisms about fair trade. In the last few weeks, I've heard comments ranging from affordability and accessibility to the idea that fair trade is designed to help consumers feel better about their purchase. While it's made me re-think my motivations for doing this challenge, I can't be convinced that not choosing fair trade is okay. So yes, there are issues. And yes, there are flaws. But fair trade is the better option. Right?

- Tabitha
 

No comments:

Post a Comment