Saturday 26 February 2011


The 30 Fair trade challenge has been underway for a couple of weeks now. Although the challenge might seem very black and white, I have come across some grey.

My understanding of the challenge is to consume only fair trade products. So when a good friend surprised me with a cup of good old ‘Canadian’ Timmy hoho’s on a slow hazy morning I ran into a little problem? To drink or not to drink? Although the money was all ready spent, and the support of unethical coffee was already done, I still felt that drinking it was wrong. So I stood my ground explained the situation, and I refused to drink, not just buy, a coffee that is not parallel with ethics and morals.


Although my friend is very ethical and environmental aware, she still, like most of us, buys quick, cheap ‘regular’ coffee. These chains like Tim Horton’s make it so easy, and available to buy their coffee, they make us feel stupid if we don’t take advantage of their 100’s of stores.

No comments:

Post a Comment