Tuesday 8 March 2011

Amnesia

Like many students I woke up sunday morning with a head ache, belly ache, dehydrated, and worrying about an exam on Monday. Yup, thats right, I spent saturday night sipping on vinho du porto discussing fine literature by my fire place with other elite scholars. I made my way to the university to study, and after a nauseating 50 min bus ride, I was felt even worse then ever. The only cure: Coffee. You would think Starbucks, the one company that has more pictures of foreign people on their walls then world vision, would support our brothers and sisters around the world, and have fair trade. Nope.
After 30 minutes of laying head down of an book-less table, about to explode, I remembered. There are other choices!  Smarter choices! Degrees(the UMSU run restaurant, with biodegradable cutlery, delicious vegan options, and fair trade coffee)! 

I think some times we are so saturated with large corporations that we can no longer remember that there are other options. I think that is what this challenge has re ignited in me, a little bit of freedom and empowerment in choice. I think its exciting, and empowering to have the choice everyday to practice something that is right.


- Jonathan

No comments:

Post a Comment